The Real Thailand -- 2nd and Last Week in Ubon
This is it, my time in Ubon is almost over. Regretably. It was hard saying bye to the children, the family and my friends here. The 'On the Road' chapter opens up... I'm really excited.



A Tribute to the Children


It's been great to teach the children but also to see the differences in the way things are done and run in this primary school. Children basically run the place and as a result become responsible very early on. Here are some of the things I noted:

  • Teachers are not in the classrooms half the time yet the children study. The government TV channel is a big tool and explains why there is a TV in each classroom.

  • They clean their own school, everyday.

  • Areobics classes are taught by the students (see previous post's video)
  • Morning anthem and buddhist prayer ran by the students

  • The school bell is rang by the students

  • Dishes are cleaned by the students
  • Students love to learn

  • The teachers teach

A 5-minute video I made about the students. I love them!







A Trip to Sao Lao Village -- Meeting the Artisans






As my stay in Ubon was coming to an end, and given that the entire village knew there was a farang in their village, my teacher/host wanted me to meet some key artisans.




The Khao-Mao Factory


Here they make a dish that locals love. It's sweet crushed rice, and you usually dip a banana in it... it's soooo good.






The fish-catching Bamboo-basket Maker





The basket is used to catches small fishes that live in the rice paddies. It's excellent food, the equivalent of friture in France.







This man was sooooooo nice. He taught me some tricks of the trade. Told me he makes two of those baskets in one day and sells them for only 40baht a piece (ie: CAN$1.3). He offered me one at the end, but I kindly refused it.







Thanks to my family and their incredible generosity. They have given me everything I could have hoped for. Not for one second did I not feel at home. Thank you!

And they know how to say thank you because the school's teachers, the students and my family gave me so many good-bye presents: bracelets (made by monks to protect me), scarves and food. Thank you!





Tomorrow I'll be heading to Udon Thani and then Vientiane, Laos... I'm leaving Ubon under heavy rain. Apparently 7 years ago Ubon got such bad rain that it was fully floaded to the point where taking the boat was the only way to get the city. I'm off to a bar. Cheers






-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Random pics from Week 2


Egg seller

A flying machine


My coke


At a Wat

2 Responses
  1. Unknown Says:

    Amazing amazing amazing morgan! So if it's on the road for you again, where will you stay next? Are you think hostels and bussing or are you looking for more volunteer opportunities as you go? The kids look wonderful!

    Bisouss!


  2. Hey Jo!
    I'm actually on 5km from Vientiane, Lao and I'm staying here for 3 extra days since there is the fireball festival happening tomorrow. It's a natural phenomenon that happens once a year where colored gas erupts from the water... a post coming on that one.