The Real Thailand -- My First Week in Ubon Ratchathani
Sawatdee Khrab!


I've now been a little outside Ubon for 1 week. This area of Thailand sees very few foreigners which makes it authentic. To be honest it took me 2 days to feel at home and that's when I realized the meaning of stepping outide your comfort zone, because the rewards are HUGE.



  1. Teaching English to kids at Sao Lao. How could you not fall in love with them all?! They are sooooo motivated to learn, they want to play with you all the time and are so thoughtful. I'm the first farang (foreigner) they meet. Here are a couple things I noted:
  • Teachers asked me about my girlfriend the first day we met, it made me smile.
  • children take there shoes off in class

  • children have so much respect for elders
  • dog and hens run freely in the school
  • some children that are not from the school come to my classes











  1. Went with one teacher and 3 school girls to meet locals from the village. Two of them insisted to take me on their tak-tak -- a small tractor they use in the rice paddies.








  1. Finally, this weekend I visited Ubon and went to the Lao border to see the 2-colored river and some beautiful waterfalls.



Saturday was Youth Day in Ubon, children were all displaying different talents. Those girls were dancers.






Night time on Ubon's main square. Everyone is playing sports as its the only bearable time of day.





At the Soi Dao waterfalls


Soi Dao waterfalls


A 100km ride to Ubon on the back of my host family's pick up truck




What makes this area of Thailand so special are its people. They're all smiling and so nice. Coming here makes you feel like a star, random people want to take pictures with you and many want to get to know you. With such attitude, the language barrier virtually disappears.

0 Responses